Feast of the Ascension
I am happy to announce that while keeping within the guidelines of the Diocese, we will be distributing the Holy Eucharist on the Ascension of the Lord (May 24-25) as detailed below. We will be following the outline provided by our Diocese which may be modified, cancelled, or suspended by the Bishop and/or me, as your Pastor, should evidence of increased contagion or some other risk arise.
Please know that the Diocese of Tucson is following the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and others with expertise in public health, as communicated through public sources on the national and local levels. The Faithful must be aware of the potential risks of resuming any public activity, including the practice of our faith. You are urged to continue monitoring directives and communications from the Diocese.
The Feast of the Ascension of the Lord
- There is to be no public celebration of the Mass on this feast. We will continue our efforts of live-streaming and recording of Masses and Liturgies.
- Holy Communion will be distributed outside our parish church. Reception of Holy Communion is to follow individual viewing ofa Mass streamed online, or on television.
- We will be streaming the Mass at 4:00 pm on Saturday and 9:00 am on Sunday on the St. John Neumann website and on Facebook. If you are unable to view these Masses, then you may watch the Mass celebrated by Bishop Weisenburger on the Diocesan website or another televised or online Mass. Our theology of Eucharist teaches that reception of the Eucharist is not ordinarily severed from the full celebration of the Mass. It is for this reason that the Faithful are urged to take part in a televised or internet liturgy.
Reception of Eucharist
- Distribution of the Eucharist will begin immediately following the final blessing of the 4:00 pm Mass and on Sunday at 9:00 am Mass. It will continue until those present have received
- There will be multiple stations set up and to the extent possible we will have hand sanitizers available, if possible, please bring your own and use prior to reception of the Eucharist.
- Social distancing of 6 – 10 feet must be maintained while in line.
- The Chalice for the congregation and assisting ministers is suspended.
- Receiving Holy Communion on the tongue almost always involves some accidental touch with tongues and lips. Therefore, Holy Communion may only be distributed in the hand.
- Please place one hand over the other and form a cup to allow the Eucharistic Minister to give you the Host without physical contact.